Game Soles: Design Progress

http://www.objectdna.com/workshops/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/photo-10-e1319805458871-764x1024.jpg 764w" sizes="(max-width: 224px) 100vw, 224px" />

We started with one vibrational motor. We wanted to test if the actual vibrations could be felt through the shoes and most importantly if someone stood on the motor. The results were perfect as Petrus could feel the undamped vibrations even when he stood up in his shoes.

http://www.objectdna.com/workshops/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/photo3-1024x764.jpg 1024w" sizes="(max-width: 300px) 100vw, 300px" />

After debating on how many motors we should have in the sole, we decided to add 4, one for each major area of the foot that is in contact with the sole. Once we got that straight we started to think of ways to connect the motors to the LillyPad. The most efficient and effective way we found was to cut the conductive fabric into thin long strands which would exactly imitate the function of wires.

http://www.objectdna.com/workshops/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Photo-on-2011-10-27-at-23.261.jpg 640w" sizes="(max-width: 300px) 100vw, 300px" />

Since we decide to use conductive fabric, we saw that its important to cover them wholly so that the circuit wouldn't be disrupt if they came into contact. For that reason we decided to create tubes out of blue fabric to act as cover for the conductive fabric.

http://www.objectdna.com/workshops/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/photo-71-e1319806834378-764x1024.jpg 764w" sizes="(max-width: 224px) 100vw, 224px" />

After preparing the tubes and inserting the conductive fabric, we attached the vibration motor to one end of each strand: one to each of the 4 spots in the sole.

http://www.objectdna.com/workshops/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/photo-52-e1319806999683-764x1024.jpg 764w" sizes="(max-width: 224px) 100vw, 224px" />

Now that we had everything set, it was time we try to attach the motors to the soles.

http://www.objectdna.com/workshops/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/photo-61-764x1024.jpg 764w" sizes="(max-width: 224px) 100vw, 224px" />

After attaching the motors, we placed the soles onto the shoes. Everything turned out perfect! When connected the fabric to the LillyPad the motors were functioning separately at intervals exactly as programmed.

http://www.objectdna.com/workshops/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/photo-111-1024x764.jpg 1024w" sizes="(max-width: 300px) 100vw, 300px" />

Putting everything we worked on together, we ended up with these two soles (as seen from the back side). With them working perfectly upon the program we outlined, we can proudly say that we are done with our semi-final prototype!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Spam protection by WP Captcha-Free